WINTER LICENSING NEWSLETTER DECEMBER 2018
1. LICENSING BOARDS’ FESTIVE POLICIES
Most Boards give an extra hour at the Festive period if you have it stated in Q4 of your Operating Plan.
Check out your Board’s web site.
Glasgow’s starts 01 December and runs up to and including late night Wednesday 02 January 2019!!
City centre, one hour extra throughout
Outwith city centre, one hour extra Fridays and Saturdays, Xmas Eve, Xmas Day and Boxing Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day.
The above policy on festive hours does not apply to Member’s Clubs.
Members Clubs which have confirmed on their application for a Premises Licence that the Club’s Constitution and Rules conform to the requirements of Regulation 2 of the Licensing (Clubs)
(Scotland) Regulations 2007, will be permitted extended hours up to 3.00am on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.
NO GLASS AFTER MIDNIGHT
2. LICENSING BOARDS’ STATEMENTS OF LICENSING POLICY
These have now all been issued. Well worth checking on your Board’s web site.
In Glasgow there are changes to Young Persons’ hours of admittance (to 11pm), stricter deadlines for extended hours and occasionals, changes to the operation of restaurant based permissions to 01am, more overprovision areas and, of course, the 04am pilot scheme for certain nightclubs.
I am happy to send on Glasgow’s Statement of Licensing Policy upon request.
3. PERSONAL LICENCE 10 YEAR RENEWALS VERY IMPORTANT
Those of you who got their Personal Licences on or before 01 September 2009, who did their Refresher Training in 2014 and whose Personal Licences expire on 31 August 2019 now have to urgently deal with the 10 year Renewal of the Personal Licence and the 2nd batch of Refresher Training notifications to the Board. Otherwise your Personal Licence will expire on 01 September 2019 or be revoked after.
There is still a lack of clarity here but it seems that most Boards, including Glasgow will accept the Scottish Government’s recommendation of (BLOCK CAPITALS ALERT!!!!) A NEW REFRESHER TRAINING CERTIFICATE TO ACCOMPANY THE RENEWAL APPLICATION WHICH MUST BE LODGED BEFORE 31 MAY 2019. THIS WILL COMPLY WITH BOTH THE REFRESHER AND THE RENEWAL REQUIREMENT.
THE LODGING APPLICATION FEE PAYABLE TO THE COUNCIL IS £50.
SO MY SERIOUS RECOMMENDATION IS GET REFRESHER TRAINING BOOKED IN JANUARY OR FEBRUARY AND LODGE YOUR PLH RENEWAL WELL BEFORE 31 MAY DEADLINE AS THERE IS SURE TO BE A LOGJAM LEADING UP TO MAY.
4. MANDATORY STAFF TRAINING.
BE PREPARED FOR A BUSY DECEMBER WITH MANY CUSTOMERS OUT DRINKING WHO MAY NOT BE USED TO IT. WE NEED OUR STAFF TO BE VIGILANT, LOOK OUT FOR DRUNK AND VULNERABLE CUSTOMERS. I’D RECOMMEND YOU REVIEW YOUR STAFF TRAINING / AGE VERIFICATION RECORDS AND MAKE SURE ALL STAFF ARE PROPERLY TRAINED WITH THE CORRECT CERTIFICATION. THE LSOs WILL QUITE RIGHTLY BE INTENSIFYING THEIR CHECKS AT THIS TIME.
REMEMBER THAT ALL STAFF WHO SERVE OR DELIVER ALCOHOL REQUIRE TO UNDERTAKE A 2 HOUR TRAINING COURSE COVERING 16 BULLET POINTS, SIGNED CERTIFICATION OF WHICH MUST BE KEPT ON THE PREMISES. A PERSONAL LICENCE HOLDER CAN CARRY OUT THIS TRAINING.
I AM CONDUCTING A 2 HOUR MANDATORY STAFF TRAINING COURSE AT BLACKFRIARS BASEMENT, 36 BELL STREET, MERCHANT CITY, GLASGOW FROM 5.30 TO 7.30 ON TUESDAY 11 DECEMBER. I HAVE 10 BOOKED ON ALREADY BUT CAN TAKE MORE. PHONE OR EMAIL TO BOOK YOUR STAFF ON. ITS £25 PH, INCLUDING CERTIFICATION.
5. PERSONAL LICENCE AND REFRESHER TRAINING DATES.
I HAVE 1 COURSE ON 13 DECEMBER, SUBJECT TO NUMBERS. I CAN TAKE BOTH FULL PLH AND REFRESHER CANDIDATES ON THIS COURSE.
OTHERS AS FOLLOWS IN 2020
FULL PERSONAL LICENCE TRAINING
10 AND 31 JANUARY, 14 AND 28 FEBRUARY, 14 AND 28 MARCH, 11 AND 24 APRIL, 9 AND 30 MAY, GLASGOW CITY CENTRE 10AM TO 4PM
REFRESHER TRAINING (FOR AUGUST 31 RENEWALS AND 5 YEAR REFRESHERS)
EVERY FRIDAY FROM 11 JANUARY TO 24 MAY AND ADDITIONAL TO ORDER / AS REQUIRED GLASGOW CITY CENTRE 10AM TO 2PM
I offer a licensing health check to ensure compliance. Picks up on Statutory Notices, management or other licensing changes………. from £150 to £250 depending on the level of involvement
Here are the kind of things I look at:-
1. Original or Certified copy of Premises Licence must be on site
2. Summary of Premises Licence for Display A4 in a prominent place.
3. Statutory under Age Notice for Display
4. Notice re unit’s Premises Licence provisions for admission of Children and Young Persons – to be posted near entrance
4. Challenge 25 Notice for Display
5. Guide to Challenge 25 and Age Verification policy – I can provide
6. 16 Bullet points for 2 hour mandatory staff training
7. Sample staff training / age verification certificate. Each staff member must be trained in both and sign a separate certificate each – trainer also to sign each form. I can provide.
8. Check any occasional licences and Roads Department section 59 permissions for outside pavement areas. Planning permission will be required.
9. I would remind you also that each Personal Licence Holder working in the premises should also have their Personal Licence kept on site. Please remember Personal Licence Holders must complete Refresher Training within 5 years of the date of issue of their Personal Licence and notify Board within a further 3 months of having done so. FOR THIS REASON I WILL INSPECT EACH PERSONAL LICENCE HELD BY YOUR STAFF SO PLEASE ENSURE THESE ARE ON THE PREMISES FOR MY INSPECTION
6. CLEANING SERVICES TO THE LICENSED TRADE
DON’T FORGET MY SPLENDID MISSUS RUNS A CLEANING COMPANY, DAILY SERVICING AROUND 20 UNITS IN AND AROUND GLASGOW. PLUS OFFICES, HOUSES (BETWEEN TENANTS DEEP CLEANS A SPECIALITY.) OPERATIVES ARE PAID ABOVE MINIMUM WAGE AND THE COMPANY IS FULLY COMPLIANT WITH PAYE, WORKPLACE PENSIONS, IMMIGRATION CHECKS, VAT, NIC ETC.
GARCIA CLEANING LIMITED. CALL BETH ON 07773 680285 OR CALL / EMAIL ME
Finally – here’s to a safe, prosperous festive period all